Transcription is defined as the transfer of audio files into text format and the person doing transcription is called a transcriptionist. Transcription may be of different types as follows. Transcription has opened new opportunities to work in India, and it gives people freedom to work at their convenience.
Medical Transcription : As the name suggests medical transcription involves transcribing medical records into the physical format. This includes patient's history, report, consultations, clinic reports, lab reports, x ray reports, discharge summary and other medical records. Earlier medical transcription was done by lab technicians, nurses or staff from hospitals. With outsourcing boom there are lots of opportunities for individuals to become medical transcriptionists. One has to undergo training in order to become a medical transcriptionist. Good knowledge of typing, English and medical terms are a must.
Legal Transcription: A legal transcriptionist is in charge of transcribing the various cases relating to labor law, company law, litigation, malpractice, accident/insurance claims, real estate etc. In order to become a legal transcriptionist a person need not necessarily be a law student but a clear understanding of the law terms and knowledge of the governing laws is essential. A fresher would start off, as a trainee becomes a transcriptionist/senior transcriptionist and then supervisor, proofreaders, editors and managers. In addition to law firms opportunities are rife in outsourcing firms.
Media Transcription: Media transcription is a relatively new stream in outsourcing. While medical and legal transcription are restricted to their respective specializations media transcription offers a wider variety. A person does not require any particular qualification and can learn on the job. Here an individual is a given media clip which could be a newsreel, talk show, a debate, discussion and it has to be transcribed. Since this stream is relatively recent job opportunities are vast and competition is less. The awareness among people is also less.
Business Transcription: Business transcription arose from the need of documentation of all the business meetings, seminars, conferences, teleconferences, interviews due to the businessmen traveling and conducting their business from everywhere be it a boardroom or on an airplane. It is not restricted to any one particular industry and spans across all industries be it manufacturing, insurance or healthcare. The basic requirement for a person to be a transcriptionist is good typing and language skills.
General Transcription: This refers to the transcription work that is not covered under any of the above. This could be related to just plain data or any other technical topic.
The skills required across transcriptionists are good listening and understanding skills with command over English. Accuracy and speed are also very important. Also one should be able to pick up the various accents that will come up in the audio and a certain amount of typing and computer skills.
In addition to opportunities in the various organizations or firms transcriptionists can also work from home. This is possible through the organizations that provide training and facilitate work at home or through jobs on the internet. However due to the sensitive nature of data there are not many work from home jobs for media transcriptionists.
- By SHANMUKHA RAO on November 7, 2009, 9:30 pm Sir
I am from Hyderabad-India and having 11+ years experience in Market research. The experience is in different sector and from low level to higher level.
Apart that i am having transcription( not Medical Transcription) experience but its a few months.
Now I want any company who can provide Transcription (either on line or off line) from home ( i am having all arrangement) or at office.
I am assured, you will provide service in time.
nid_shan (@} rediffmail.com
- By BHUVANA AVINASH on December 10, 2009, 9:32 am I am a BCom graduate presently working as a teacher for the past 7 years and I request to please be provided with information on how to work from home. I stay at South Bangalore. I also have about 7 years of experience in commercial, accounts in corporate world.
- By Gopi on January 2, 2010, 7:50 am Hello sir/madam, Presently I'm working in a private company at Coimbatore as a Business Transcriptionist about a year. So if there any openings perfect by my profile please let me know.... I am searching for transcription jobs in Coimbatore.
- By Roman Magdangal on February 19, 2010, 9:33 pm Sir/Madam, This is my first time in this kind of field. Being new in transcription field, I need an assist or help to know the operation of this field. So please kindly assist or help me. And give me some or not some information on how I can have a client on this field and have a online transcriptionist training. Thank You.
- By Jasmine on February 23, 2010, 11:40 am Dear Sir, I am Jasmine from palakkad district. I was born and brought up in UAE where people start working at a very early age, right from school vacations actually. I started transcription jobs as a summer vacation job and continued throughout since that job had a facility of working from home.Infact, I used to do it even over weekends while I was on a fulltime job with Emirates Airline. Since 2months, I have relocated myself to Kerala for personal reasons and would like to take up some online jobs, if possible. I am sure I would prove to be the best and will not let you down. Do mail me for any suitable opportunity.
Thanks & Regards,
- By Ms.Sharon Ingles on February 28, 2010, 8:45 am Hello Sir, I am a student. I have good listening and writing skills. I can decipher the audio files within a short period of time. I am good at working on MS-Word. Currently I am pursuing BBA from ICFAI university. I am working with a KPO doing business transcription since June 2009. I am looking for work related to business transcription only. I stay in Aurangabad Maharashtra.
- By Salma Shaikh on March 2, 2010, 8:23 am Hi Sir, I am from Thane, Mumbai and having experience of 6 yrs. 4 yrs in office administration & 2 yrs in teaching. I have also done translation job from audio- video to Ms-Word for 6 months. Currently I take private tutions in Thane. I am looking for some work from home job.
- By Parvathy Kumar on March 8, 2010, 3:27 am I have good command over english and typing speed of 60+ words a minute. I have also worked as a business transcriptionist and later on as quality editor on and off for around 3+ years. I am a postgraduate (Mcom) and in addition I also hold a MBA (Finance) degree. I have 12+ years of experience in Accounts, Audit, Taxation as well as Finance. Currently I am looking for a home based business transcription, quality editor assignments. Kindly let me know about any openings and opportunities.
- By Sagar Kambli on April 5, 2010, 3:48 pm I am Sagar Rajendra Kambli woriking in Transcription industry from past 2 years. I do Business Transcription with good quality within TAT. Right now I am working as a freelancer in home, and
I want to ask you about if you have some work for transcription, I will be happy to to work with you in future.
- By RAJ PRATEEK VERMA on April 10, 2010, 7:31 am I am an MBA from IISWBM, Kolkata and have a reasonable command over English. I have my own business in Jharkhand but would like to work as a transcriptionist in my leisure time. I know the basics of this job but want more details about the companies providing such jobs and the T.AT. allowed for transcription(business). Thanks.
- By VEENA NAVARATNA on April 23, 2010, 5:13 am I would like to go for business transcription for financial transcription, I am Bcom graduate, have done Diploma in financial management. At present I am a houswife, I was working earlier at Bangalore.
- By Kumar on July 29, 2010, 12:55 am Hi, My name is Kumar.C. I am working as Business Transcriptionist for past four and half years in Ajaxdotcom. Now I am looking for freelance jobs in business transcription. Please let me know if there is any opportunity in your company for freelance.
- By Monica on August 26, 2010, 1:59 pm Hi, I am based in Bangalore. I have 2 years of experience in call center. Now I am married and couldn't continue the job. I would like this opportunity of doing any kind of transcription.
Thanx in advance
- By Aditya on December 9, 2010, 2:49 am I am a computer science graduate working in a BPO as a TL. I am good in leadership and also have good typing skills. I stay in Bangalore. Please send me details of how to do Business Transcription from home.
- By shireen abdul on February 10, 2011, 1:12 am hi, I am housewife,am a fresher. I have no work experience at all..
I stay at frazer town,have done my graduation in B.COM.ofcorse i have bit knowledge of computers have own system and internet at home.I am interested in doing business transcription from home if u think am capable of it.....Thank you..
- By Khushbu Chhajed on May 14, 2011, 5:23 am Respected maam/sir,
I am a law-undergraduate student in my fourth year now. i wish to pursue legal transcription job. i am a very hardworking and a dedicated student coming in merit all throughout. please help
- Last Updated on June 22, 2011, 5:37 am
- Page Created on April 20, 2009, 12:23 am