When you study Dental science you learn everything about health problems afflicting the mouth, the gums, the teeth, and the other soft and hard tissues of the oral cavity. With huge advances in technology this field changing rapidly and is opening up plenty of opportunities for those who plan to take up a career in dental science. Once you pass out this course you become dentists.
A large number of opportunities exist for dentists in dental departments in hospitals, dental clinics, in private nursing homes, and other government health departments. Dentists in India can also opt for an excellent career in teaching departments of dental colleges.
Other good options open to dentists include working in the research related functions of pharmaceutical and other companies producing oral medicines, toothpaste, gum care oral care products, mouth wash, and other products. One can also prefer self-employment. This again is a very lucrative option to many.
The field of dentistry also includes cosmetology. As a dentist who specializes in cosmetology you can improve the patients' looks and appearance by using different kinds of cosmetic dental procedures.
Types of Dentist Jobs
There are various types of dentist jobs. Such as
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Technician
- Dental Therapist
- Locum Dentist
Personal Skills Required For Dentist Jobs
Those who have passed their higher secondary exams with science stream can opt for dental studies in India. A student wanting to pursue this course needs certain other traits. These include patience, sharp concentration power, manual dexterity, an eye for detail , cool temperament, stamina to work for long good interpersonal skills, etc.
Some of dentistry specialization areas in this field are:
- Endodontics or root canal therapy includes study of diseases of the dental pulp.
- Orthodontics, which deals with straightening and aligning teeth and jaws
- Periodontics, related with gum care and diseases that might affect them.
- Operative Dentistry or Endodontics, this is root canal jobs, fillings and cosmetic surgery.
- Prosthodontics- It involves making artificial teeth.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology- This is the study as well as treatment of oral and maxillofacial related diseases.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology- This is the study and radiologic interpretation of oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery- which deals with surgeries of the mouth and the jaw
- Oral pathology which deals with diagnosis for diseases that affect the mouth
Specialization in any of these can help you get good jobs in India.